These recipes are Barksdale family holiday traditions.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 cups instant rice
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package processed American cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bunch celery, chopped (This is in the recipe but I don’t use it)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook broccoli and rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, mix cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and 1 1/4 cups water. Gradually stir in cheese until melted. Be careful that the cheese doesn't burn.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and saute celery and onion until soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, rice, soup and cheese mixture, celery and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until bubbly and lightly brown.
MaMary’s Cranberry Salad
2 bags fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
2 cups red grapes cut in half
1 cup chopped pecans
1 In food processor grind fresh cranberries until chopped. Combine with 1 cup of sugar and put into a colander and drain overnight.
2 Whip cream with 1teaspoon vanilla and 3T to ¼ cup sugar, according to desired sweetness.
3 Fold in cranberries, grapes and pecans.
Serve cold. Enjoy!